A world leader in the design and supply of navigation and security surveillance systems, Kelvin Hughes has been contracted by French company AVON Communications to supply five of its SBS-700 radar systems for integration with the Marseille Fos Port Vessel Traffic Management System (VTMS).
The port is made up of two harbours, the ‘Eastern harbour’ with 1,000 hectares, located in the city of Marseille itself, and the ‘Western harbour’ with 12,000 hectares which is located in Fos, 70 km from the town. Covering an area larger than the city of Paris, Marseille Fos is France’s leading port and handles everything from hydrocarbons and bulk liquids (oil, gas and chemical products) to bulk solids (minerals and cereals), general cargo (containers and other packaging) and is a major cruise ship terminal.
The SBS-700 is specifically designed to meet the requirements of a Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) system as defined in IALA recommendation V-128 and each X-band system supplied will feature a combination of the SBS 700-1, single transceiver, and the SBS 700-2, dual redundant transceiver. Incorporating an enhanced magnetron transmitter, the SBS-700 features a high dynamic range, a low-noise front end and a FET modulator.
Paul Mariner, Kelvin Hughes’ Regional Sales Manager, commented: “Winning this important contract is a further vote of confidence in our SBS VTS systems which are already providing a protection and surveillance capability for ports, coastlines and offshore oil & gas facilities across the world. We’re looking forward to working closely with AVON Communications to bring this industry-leading capability to the Marseille Fos port.”
KELVIN HUGHES PRESS OFFICE
Phone: +44 (0) 1252 448 169
Mobile: +44 (0) 7739 461 061
Email: [email protected]
ABOUT KELVIN HUGHES
- Kelvin Hughes Ltd is a world leader in the development, manufacture and supply of maritime navigation, surveillance and security radar systems. The company sets the international standard in solid state radar sensor technology with SharpEye™ and its market leading tactical and situational awareness radar display software’s.
- Our solid state radar technology is called SharpEye™ and is sold into a diverse range of markets and applications from maritime navigation, port vessel traffic services and coastal surveillance to ground surveillance and marine security applications.
- With a product range covering from land to sea, Kelvin Hughes demonstrates its expertise in solid state radar detection technology with a breadth and depth that no other company can match.
- The Kelvin Hughes group employs over 400 people worldwide, the company is divided into 3 business units: Security Systems, Maritime Systems and ChartCo.
- Headquartered in Enfield, North London, UK, Kelvin Hughes operates a worldwide support network with eleven offices in seven countries that meet customer requirements 24/7.
- With an eye to the future, Kelvin Hughes has embarked on a programme of continuous innovation to place it among the fastest-growing companies in the industry.